t> The Joy of Stampin' with Rachael: Watercoloring Card Class

Monday, November 23, 2020

Watercoloring Card Class

 


This past Saturday I took an online Watercoloring Class for card making with a bonus banner with my good Demo friend, Tricia Williams! Watercoloring is not my "style" because I never felt I was good at it and it takes a little more time and prep then just paper alone. So I took this class to learn some new ways to watercolor and mostly to build my confidence. I am so excited to share just a little bit with you what I've learned and the items I've created. For each project we used the Ridiculously Awesome stamp set and can order by clicking on the link below. 

Hello Banner
Above is a fun Watercolor banner using the Shimmery White cardstock and Stitched Nested Label Dies. We did a technique called water resist where I embossed first with white embossing powder and then watercolored over it. Lastly, we added gold foil letters cut out from the Playful Alphabet Dies. I choose Pretty Peacock for my banner color because it is one of my favorite colors is is a main color in my craft room space. 

Watercoloring Directing & Pooling

These cards were made using a fun method where we directed the color where we wanted it to go and created "pools" of color. We used the Fluid 100 Watercolor paper from Stampin' UP! and the Ridiculously Awesome stamp set. You will need your heat tool for this method to help with drying and directing your pool of water. 


This one I stamped with stazon ink AFTER it dried and used clear embossing powder to make the stazon shine. 


This one I stamped with Versamark and embossed with White Embossing powder FIRST before doing the watercoloring. 


Ombre Watercoloring 

We added the Sweetest Time Dies to this card to give it a Christmas look. I learned how to do wet on wet watercoloring  for this one and how to make it blend nicely to give that Ombre look. 


Splatter Marks

We did a fun rainbow look at the bottom of this watercolor paper and then used the Water Painters to flick water off and let it sit and then pat it off with a paper towel. We stamped the saying on regular Whisper White and die cut it out because ink stamping on Fluid 100 watercolor paper does not come out as nice. 


Setup & Tips


Here was my setup for the class. I had my workspace protected with paper towels and double grid paper with a thin, smooth piece of cardboard underneath. I had my stazon ink and cleaner. Tweezers for when I did my embossing and didn't want to burn my fingers. 



I like to watercolor off my clear blocks. Most people use their lid of their ink pad, but I don't like how messy it looks on my lid later (even though I know I could wipe it off with a paper towel). I just put my whole block in the ink and flip it over onto some paper towel. I let them dry and then rinse them off with cold water and they are as good as new. 

To help your cards to dry flat place them under heavy books over night. Or tape them down with washi tape onto a flat surface. Use your heating tool to help dry faster. 


Must haves for Watercoloring
Supplies
Watercolor Paper: Shimmery White Paper or Fluid100 Watercolor paper
Water Painters (pack of 3)
Ink or ink refills
Heat Tool 
Paper Towels
Clear blocks
*Patience and Time
You can order all of these supplies (except time and patience) from my online store by clicking the link below!

I hope you have enjoy learning a little bit about watercoloring and enjoy the projects we made. I hope to do more watercoloring in the future! 

Happy Stampin' Everyone!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! It really makes my day and I love hearing from you! <3

Double Feature Friday- Snowy Wonder

  Double Feature Friday with Stamp & Share Crew Snowy Wonder Tutorials! Wither you are looking for a snowy cabin scene or a playful peng...